Skip to main content

About this Show

Key Capitol Hill Hearings

Series/Special. Speeches from policy makers and coverage from around the country. (Stereo)

NETWORK

DURATION
02:01:00

RATING
TV-MA

SCANNED IN
San Francisco, CA, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Channel v109

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
ac3

PIXEL WIDTH
704

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 16, Mr. Lazarus 12, Turley 10, Mr. Turley 8, Mr. Cannon 7, Texas 6, U.s. 5, United States 4, Rosenkranz 3, Obamacare 3, Nato 3, Illinois 3, Libya 3, Afghanistan 3, Obama 2, Irs 2, Mike 2, Mr. Chairman 2, Yonah Alexander 2, Cavanagh 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  CSPAN    Key Capitol Hill Hearings    Series/Special. Speeches from policy makers  
   and coverage from around the country. (Stereo)  

    December 3, 2013
    12:00 - 2:01pm EST  

12:00pm
jealously protect its constitutional power and authority and that static bounds that would be there would be the definition of a brighter line between the three articles of the constitution. but what's your suggestion on -- what been finally resolved the i know we said elections, if the elections are affected by decisions of the executive branch, what do the people who are the final arbiters of this definition of the constitution? >> to me are -- >> i'm asking mr. cannon. >> i think it was to meet him and get asking if there's no remedy, what did the people do. to what particular sort of abuses are you -- >> anyone on the list of the enumerated powers, for example, any with the question of war because that's the starkest of all. >> there is a procedure in the constitution that allows peoplee people to amend the constitution without going through congress. that is another method where the
12:01pm
people can try to restrain executive spent you suggest then if that should happen why would an executive with such disrespect for the constitution today on an amended constitution from the constitutional convention? >> that is an excellent question. >> i would like to turn to mr. turley. he's had a chance to reflect upon the earlier statement of the situation that we are in, and where this goes. we need to look into the future and ask unanimous consent for the additional minute to ask each of the witnesses to tell us what does america look like in the next 25 years if we have executive upon executive builds upon this continual stretching or disregard of the constitutional restraint and a disrespect for article i? start with mr. turley and speeding you may answer the question as quickly as you can. >> i really have great trepidation of where we're heading because we are creating a new system here, something that is not designed. we have this rising fourth
12:02pm
branch and a system that is tripartite. this center of gravity is shifting and that makes it unstable. and within that system you have the rise of the presidency. there could be no greater danger for individual liberty. and i really think that the framers would be horrified by that shift because everything they dedicate themselves to was creating this orbital balance. we lost it. >> as i said before i think the ultimate check is elections, but i don't think you should be hesitant to seek the word in this room. a check on executive lawlessness is impeachment. and if you find that the president is willfully and repeatedly violating the constitution if, on your hypothetical he were to declare war, i would think it would be a clear case for impeachment. >> well, i guess this is the first time i've heard anyone complain about the possibility that this president is going to
12:03pm
unilaterally be clear war, and the overaggressive about that. i don't think that's much of a description of his foreign policy. but congress has lots of power if he chooses to use. the power of the purse is an enormous power, and i think if i were you, i would find ways to influence policy using the congress' powers, which were not doing. for example, we are hearing complaints about the president's actions do not enforce deportation against a certain classes of immigrants. you know, instead of complaining about that, this committee could hold a markup and report of a comprehensive immigration reform
12:04pm
bill, send it to the for -- >> mr. lazarus, you are -- not you but the question is too inept minutes over. so you can do this by giving us advice of what our legislative agenda should lock like an answer the question, i would be grateful to you. >> that is an answer. i think on this has a lot of power and it should use it. >> and i assume that the failure to exercise is also an exercise of power. the failure to act. mr. cannon, would you like to briefly -- >> maybe mr. lazarus knows better than i do how many bombs the president has dropped before that becomes more. i don't know the actual number. but i think what mr. king was getting at is, there is one last thing to which the people can resort to the government does not respect the restraints the constitution places on the cover. abraham lincoln talks about our right to alter our government or our revolution right to
12:05pm
overthrow it. added a certain something that no one wants to contemplate, as i mentioned in my written and might deliver testimony, if the people come to believe that the government is no longer constrained by the laws and they will conclude that neither are they. that is a very dangerous sort of thing where the president to do to wantonly ignore the laws, to try to impose obligation upon people that the legislature did not approve -. >> thank you, chairman. professor lazarus, made a statement about, at least i invert about this being political, i want to assure you that i left a lucrative law practice to come to congress in 2011 because i continually see the eroding of the constitution. is what protects us. so i'm not here for the pomp and
12:06pm
circumstance, for the notoriety or to promote my career. i'm here because i'm concerned about the future of my children and the constitution to want to make that perfectly clear. number two, you may become it, and again, i invert that -- i inferred that the intent, intent wasn't an issue or was an issue in part of the affordable care act. and i don't want to get in to the details of that but i find that interesting that you made intent the issue when the speaker of the house at that time, nancy pelosi, said we have to pass it before we know what's in it. okay? so let's get real about this. now we are finding what is in it. well, what is not in it and i hear consistently from a constituent, small businesses how this is destroying them. let me be the first to say that
12:07pm
i think everyone needs health care, and those who cannot afford it, we they can afford it have helped those individuals. i firmly and truly believe that. and so with that, i'd like to read you something. i'm not a constitutional expert but i love constitutional law. i follow constitutional law ad nauseam. is asked by way. why. i'm always thought about constitutional law. in newspapers 51 said -- in federalist papers 51, what is government itself? degrees reflection on human nature. and it went back to refer to the great security against a gradual concentration of the several powers in the same department consists in giving to those who administer each department the necessary constitutional means, the personal motives to resist encroachment of the others.
12:08pm
and the government was set up to specifically prevent that. and the problem is, i am sitting here, not only in this administration, but in the previous administration and several administrations, the executive branch is taking for granted that they have exclusive power over issues that they don't. and i'm concerned about that. and what do we do to prevent that? where does it stop? here's my question. we've seen the president, and past presidents, inserting the war powers act which i think violate the constitution. in this administration, stopped enforcement of -- detaining illegal immigrants, stopped enforcement of drug laws. i know that because i'm a prosecuted. i saw it. stopped enforcement of mandatory sentencing. stopped parts of obamacare. the benghazi issue.
12:09pm
the ag being held in content. irs is -- how many more things do you think has to occur? i'm thinking like a prosecuted. one of those in and of itself is not enough evidence. two of those in and of itself is not is not evidence. the violations that i see, that which is listed, and there are many more, i think is enough evidence to start asking questions, where do you see the line drawn in what i've cited here as enough evidence to start asking questions about presidents exceeding their power? >> well, first of all, congressman, i can't address all of the speed i don't expect you to. >> but many of those things -- let's be honest about it, our honest disagreements about policy, or about how to interpret the law. spin to your interpretation of the law -- you are saying, you don't agree with way perhaps i'm interpreting the law so you say
12:10pm
i'm wrong. >> no. just to finish the sentence. raising the specter of some kind of grotesque presidential assertion of unwarranted authority, it's just not based on fact. mr. cannon, for example, strong pleased his interpretation of the law which would think obamacare in his view, is correct, or i guess he does. the president disagrees with it. the president has very good reason to disagree with it. so to say that he's not taking care of the law-based -- >> let me replay my time here. when laws are enacted, they should be followed to the letter, and it's not being done. i've heard you raised the issue of, well, prior administrations have done it. to me, that's no excuse not to pursue this from the congressional standpoint. because whether it's obama, and
12:11pm
whether it's war powers act, whether it's getting into iraq, these are all issues are deeply concerned about. so you criticized and, you know, you've made some i think remarks concerning, i don't think you take some of this seriously of what your colleagues have to say up there. so give me an answer as to what you think we need to do to get, to curtail the executive power the way i think it's been used over the years. >> you may answer the question quickly. >> quickly spin well, i think you can pass legislation to overturn an executive action to disapprove the. you can withhold funds for it speeded let me ask you. you are not reciting, 94% of obamacare is mandatory spending. and the democrats pass that in italy without any motion from the public. nothing to be done about that at
12:12pm
this point. it's the law. i yield back. >> thank the gentleman from pennsylvania. the chair will not recognize the gentleman from new york, my friend, mr. jeffries. >> thank you, mr. chairman, as was ranking member, and the panelists for their participation this morning. if i could just start with professor rosenkranz, and i want to explore this issue of prosecutorial executive branch discretion, particularly in the context of the enforcement of our nation's immigration laws. but if i could just start with some foundational questions. the department of justice, for example, is an executive branch agency, correct? >> yes. >> and federal prosecutors within the department of justice are exercising executive branch action in the context of their participation in the criminal justice system, correct?
12:13pm
>> exercising executive authority, yes. >> executive of 40. now, when prosecutors make a decision, after initially charging someone with a serious offense and then agree to a plea bargain to a lesser included offense, short of what they may have concluded the evidence provide that particular defendant was guilty of -- is that an appropriate exercise of prosecutorial discretion within the four corners of the constitution? >> well, i figured depends on the circumstances under hypothetical. it would not be appropriate if it were motivated i race for something, but on the facts you describe, if the prosecutor thought he didn't have the resources to prosecute a particular crim crime for perhas a sure hit the evidence for a particular element of the crime, then yes, that's an appropriate exercise of discretion spent executive branch and the
12:14pm
constitutional content, department of justice or immigration context within homeland security, they have an ability to prioritize the nature of the offenses that they enforce them is that correct, ma as an appropriate exercise of the constitutional authority to? >> the executive branch has authority to husband its resources in the most efficient way that it sees fit. so the president doesn't have the money or resources to completely execute every law. and so he does have to by necessity make decisions about enforcement priorities, yes. >> so you've concluded i believe that the presidential exercise of authority, with respect to defer action, certain class of individuals, do you believe there's an unconstitutional exercise of his authority? >> starry? spent in the immigration
12:15pm
context. >> yes, i do. >> and she believe that's the case because of the fact that you contend it was a wide ranging exercise that was not made on a case-by-case basis? what is the foundation of your belief that it's unconstitutional? >> i think are two basic reasons. one is that it is dramatically further than hypotheticals we were discussing before. this is not a prosecutor decided on a case. this is the president deciding on 1.8 million cases. and second striking thing about it is the president deciding on exactly the set of cases that congress considered exempting and decided not to extend. that's what's particularly talking about it. >> reclaiming my time. you are familiar with the criteria that has been set forth for the determination that i made i believe on a case-by-case basis as it relates to who qualifies for this defer action,
12:16pm
are you not? >> yes. >> okay. so for instance, one of the criteria, you must have entered the united states before the 16th birth and the younger than 31 as of june 15, 2012. that's one particular criteria. another is cannot have convictions of any felony offense, significant misdemeanor or have committed any three misdemeanor offenses. those are pretty specific enumerated categories, but another category which helps to determine whether discretion is appropriate is you cannot pose a threat to public safety or national security. isn't that a pretty broad category within which discretion can be exercise on a case-by-case basis as to whether, in fact, you pose a threat to public safety or national security, that that is not a specifically constrained factor that people either automatically fall within or
12:17pm
automatically fall without? >> well, i think it's a dramatic shift in the status quo. so 1.8 million people will presumptively be allowed to stay. i can't imagine that but a tiny fraction of them will be found to fall within that exception. >> i would just note that of these individuals, more than four and 50,000 have been granted deferred action, but in excess of 100,000 have been denied access or who have not received that grant of discretion. i yield back. >> thank the gentleman from new york. now recognize himself for five minutes question. it strikes me the law can require action or for being action. the law can forbid the possession of child pornography. the lock in some instances require you to file an income tax return. mr. lazarus, is the chief executive constitution capable of ignoring both categories of
12:18pm
long? >> well, as i said several times, congressman gowdy, the president cannot refuse to apply or enforce the law for policy reasons. >> well, let's analyze that for a second. congress decided in its collective wisdom that if you possess xml at a controlled stuff as you're going to get x. amount of time in prison. you may like mandatoriness. you may not like them. this administration summarily dispensed with that law. so my question to you again is can the chief executive failed to enforce categories of laws that are both permissive and mandatory. >> it is well-established that the executive branch has prosecutorial discretion. that's a decline in force spendt what are those limits of? >> very frankly, i'm not an
12:19pm
expert on that. >> let me ask you this. can the president -- lets us in a statute required you to show two pieces of identification to purchase a farm. can the chief executive knock that down to one? >> i guess i would have been all a bit more but i would -- >> it's a very simple fact that in but you have to show two forms of idea to purchase a firearm. can the chief executive under his pardon authority or his prosecutorial discretion will authority knocked that down to just one form of identification? >> are not aware of limits on the president's pardon authority -- >> so you would say he could? >> under the pardon authority a president can pardon just about anyone. not that he should. >> even before the act is committed? and he do it before the act is committed? that's my question. can he do it before the act is committed speak with again, that's another -- that's above my pay grade. i don't know that.
12:20pm
>> is the present and failed to afford -- and he failed to enforce election long? >> whether the president can pardon someone before a prosecution is initiated? are before it -- >> i think i know the answer to that question. my question was before the act was committed to he certainly can't before the prosecution. if you can dispense with immigration laws or marijuana laws are mandatory minimums, and also dispense with election laws? >> i, again, i think we've gone over this ground many times. >> let's do it one more time. can the president suspended election laws? >> no. >> why not? iif you can suspend mandatory minimum and immigration laws, why not election laws? >> because we live in a government of laws and the president is about to abate in and apply them. >> he's not up on the aca and not applying immigration laws and he's not applying marijuana
12:21pm
laws and does not applying mandatory minimum to which the different? >> we have a disagreement whether or not he is applying those laws. he is applying those laws -- >> did eric holder instructors prosecutors to no longer follow the mandatory minimums with respect to charging decisions speak with this isn't anywhere i really don't know nearly as much as you do, congressman. >> i find that shocking anybody would not do more than i do on any topic. who would you like me to ask professor turley? >> my impression is that it is not exactly doing what you just said, that -- >> tell me how i'm wrong. because eric holder sent out a memo that we are no longer going to put in the indictment -- agree with me that congress can pass mandatory minimums? >> constitutionally, yes. >> do you agree congress can pass mandatory -- can congress also the statutory maximum? in other words, you can get more
12:22pm
than 30 years for a crime. >> of course. >> any president exceeded the statutory maximum? >> can he extinguish a? >> can he exceed it speak with kenny exceeded? how would he do that? you mean keep someone in prison beyond his prison term? >> if you can put him in prison for less time than congress says is the law, can you also don't for more time than caucuses as s is the long? >> you know, it's really, it's -- this is kind fruitless because it's an area that i really don't know -- >> professor turley, what are the limits of prosecutor of discretion? and did the president can suspend immigration laws, marijuana laws, why not election laws? >> well, i think that some of these areas i can't imagine it would be justified to prosecutorial discretion. it's not prosecutorial discretion to go in and say an entire category of people no
12:23pm
longer be subject to the law. that's a legislative session. prosecutorial discretion is a case-by-case decision that is made by the department of justice. the department of justice starts to say we're going to extend that to whole sections of law, then they are engaging in the legislative act. not prosecutor discretion but wherever the lawn -- the law is drawn as can be drawn somewhere for me but it can't include categorical rejections of application of the law to millions of people. >> my time is up but i would just tell you that i always thought prosecutorial discretion was an individual prosecutor determine whether she or he has enough tax to substantially result in a conviction on a case-by-case basis. if a president is ignoring entire categories of the law, whether it be immigration, marijuana, mandatory minimum, the aca, what is a remedy for the legislative branch? >> first of all, the first part of the question, as you may know
12:24pm
i do criminal defense work. i would never go to prosecute and say i want your prosecutorial discretion to say that the entire class of which my client belongs cannot be subject to this law because prosecutors look at me and say, are you insane? i am not congress. so i wouldn't even raise the question. in terms of where we go from here, i'm not too sure because the great concern i have for this body is that it's not only being circumvented, but it is also being denied the ability to enforce its inherent powers. many of these questions are not close in my view. at present is outside the line. but it has to go in front of the court and the court has to grant review. and that's what we have the most series constitutional crisis iv in my lifetime. and that is, this body becoming less and less relevant. >> with that i would recognize the gentlelady from texas, ms. jackson lee.
12:25pm
>> i think the majority and minority, mr. conyers, for holding is to let me thank the witnesses. whenever witnesses come before our body, it is of course valuable, and we trust your judgment. also we may disagree with you vigorously. let me say that the wasteland that mr. lazarus spoke of, and mr. lazarus, please let me cite you and indicate that i will be using this across the land, the vast lands of this nation. which is a rhetorical waste that this hearing equates, but also to suggest that the reason why this body that professor turley has suggested may be on the verge of some basis of irrelevancy, which i take issue with, is because under the president's house leadership we passed no legislation for the president to be up to implement in the first place. we have not passed immigration reform. we have not held with the question of a mandatory minimum. we have not dealt with a budget
12:26pm
process. we've not dealt with sequester. if we would simply do our jobs, the relevance to the american people would exceed our expectations. i just came from the fast for family. just a few hours ago we had in this room dreamers. as far as i'm concerned, the duty of the president is to be the ultimate giver of relief within the context of the constitution and the necessary release of the people who are begging for relief. if you read the lines that we are so intellectually gifted to interpret, along with precedents come it says that he shall take care of the laws he faithfully executed. and shall commission all the officers of the united states. well, i could be a believer and, therefore, my faith that the president is taking within the context of the laws the ability to implement to help the most
12:27pm
vulnerable. and what we are doing here is a rhetorical wasteland of ignoring the pain of our nation. let me give you an example. first of all my good friend from south carolina knows full well as a federal prosecutor that each day prosecutors are making distinctive decisions about who to prosecute and how. within the context of the law. and to answer the question for you, mr. lazarus, the issue is that in election law, you follow the law that you have the right in a prosecutorial posture determine whether you are prosecuting or not. that is what happened with mandatory minimums. that is what's happening with the issues of the drugs. that is what the attorney general is speaking up. he is not throwing laws to the wasteland. we are in this hearing. for it has no sense to it. and then it is interesting that we have not understood the
12:28pm
question of the secretary of homeland security. she issued a memo to her staff. she has an inherent authority to deal with policy. each of the deferred adjudication's are the deferred deferments for dreamers is individually obsessed but what is this constitutional googly talking about? they don't understand the difference between policy and the ability to do that? i've had dreamers come to my office. i could not wave a magic wand. they had to go through the process, and indicates that it went to cbp, ice, immigration enforcement, and others. i'm taken aback that this issue does not come with humanitarianism, and that if they should be hearing it should be hearing of the failure of this congress to act on its constitutional responsive those. let me ask on the affordable
12:29pm
care act, which is now just another way, if i might say so, at having the 50th and 52nd in the 53rd challenge on the affordable care act. mr. lazarus, to go back to a common about these exchanges, another wasteland, that if your space does not have an exchange -- state does not have an exchange, just a practical english it means that you in the state cannot comply, meaning you the citizen, are left in the wasteland of noncompliance. what you can get on. so we've established the national exchanges. would would have preferred to have stayed exchanges and to have a list of states insurance? yes. would we prefer for republicans not to encourage young people not to do what is best for them by getting covered? yes. but my question is, if directive is to run it is the direct is to run such exchange, that means the same characteristics,
12:30pm
including a tax credit that allows for people to insurance, obviously these are about. us with coming in the middle of my question, mr. lazarus. this is for you. in essence, in states with few exchanges the federal comment stands in issues of the states. doesn't that further illustrate why you, not mr. cannon, are correct based on the purest text of the law? and that the president is carefully, faithfully implementing the law? would you go over that for us again so that it can be in the record? >> that interpretation is what i support, what the president and the administration supports. ..
12:31pm
making no sense whatsoever i think. >> may i just have an additional 30 seconds. he didn't answer. does this not exceed, ask unanimous consent. >> i'm sorry. >> ex seed the authority of,. >> we're already two minutes over. so if you give us a very pithy response. >> thank you, mr. chairman. mr. lazarus, if you could --
12:32pm
>> i think the president is not violating his take-care responsibilities by acting on the interpretation. >> do you associate with my interpretation of statements my made previously? >> mr. chairman -- >> may i ask a submission for the record. >> you may ask all questions for the record. >> no. may i submit a document for record. >> without objection. >> op-ed by myself on signing statements. ask unanimous consent. >> without objection. >> i thank the chairman panned the witnesses. i yield back. >> before i recognize the gentleman from idaho. for those of our panelists who may not be able to avail themselves history of this committee from 2008 around 2010, the other side controlled this committee and not one single, solitary piece of immigration reform was produced. now let's be fair. i have got colleagues like the gentleman from illinois who are equally desirous of immigration rerecall to no matter who the president is, but let's don't rewrite history.
12:33pm
from 2008 and 2010 the democrats controlled this committee and nothing with respect to immigration reform. so don't talk to me now what a huge priority it is. i recognize -- >> gentleman yield. >> i recognize the gentleman from idaho. >> gentleman yield. >> thank you for the time. mr. lazarus i've been listening to you for 2 1/2 hours now, and i have not heard a single time where you have told me where in the law the federal exchanges are given the authority to grant these subsidies. you talk about policy, you talk about what you think the president wants. you talk about what you think the democrats want. tell me in the statute, just one time, where it says that the federal exchanges are supposed to give this subsidy? >> yes. i didn't go into detail and i don't think that my friend, mr. cannon did either. >> i think he did. he mentioned the numerous times where it gives solely to the state exchanges. >> let me answer the question.
12:34pm
first of all, i asked that the committee include written testimony that i gave to subcommittee of congressman issa's oversight committee that goes into detail about what -- >> just name one. i want one section of the law. i don't have that much time. name one section of law. >> secondly -- >> you don't know. mr.-- >> i didn't say i don't know. >> can you name one section of the law? one section of law, mr. lazarus where it says that. >> i would cite two sections. >> that's all i'm asking. >> first section is one that congresswoman lee referred to and that is, where the law says that in the event that a state does not set up its own exchange, then the secretary of health and human services shall establish such exchange. our interpretation, the administration's interpretation is that the word such exchange, should be interpreted to mean that the exchanges will operate on the same terms and have the
12:35pm
same authority. michael does not agree with that. >> okay. >> that's the interpretation. secondly, and i think this is really quite important, when the statute defines exchange with a capital-e, put as capital-e in there, it, says, exchange shall be an exchange established by the state under the relevant section. and then -- >> i reclaim my time. i just asked you a simple question. mr. turley, mr. cannon, i think both of you, coming from different political points of view have some of the same concerns that i had about the prior administration, about the bush administration. in fact i read some of your writings, mr. turley, before i was a member about congress. >> bless you. >> and i was very concerned about the imperial presidency. i was very concerned about having a republican with
12:36pm
republicans in congress who were not willing to be a check and a balance on a republican president. and in fact like mr. cannon stated in hits testimony, i think it was you, i can't remember which one of you it was, who stated that maybe the one thing that you liked about obama, you seem to agree with his policies, you seem to kind of like the fact that he was going to be a check on what previous presidents had done. so i'm actually really disappointed that we are here at this hearing today and i'm surprised at my friend on the other side don't think this is an important hearing because they seem to bitch and whine eight years what the bush administration did. all of sudden they don't seem to have one single concern about what this president is doing with his authority. what do you have to say about that, mr. turley? >> well i believe that this institution is facing a critical "crossroads" in terms of its continued relevance in this process. what this body can not become is
12:37pm
a debating society where it can issue rules and laws that are either complied with or not complied with by the president. i think that's where we are. where mr. lazarus and i disagree, mr. lads russ can not ignore express statement on policy grounds. i'm not sure what is involved here. if you look at the individual mandate, the policy issue there were a great number people were upset, they felt there was a bait and switch. that is not the same thing we see with the environmental statutes that mr. lazarus points out. that is a political issue, a policy issue, where the president said, i don't want this to happen now. a lot of people are upset with it. that would seem to me if that is not a policy question, i don't know what is. by mr. lads russ's own definition that that would seem to be outside authority of the president. look at issue you're raising, look around you. is this truly the body that existed when it was formed? does it have the same gaffetational pull and authority
12:38pm
given by its framers. you're the keepers of this authority. you took an oath to uphold it. the framers assumed you would have the institutional wherewithal and frankly ambition to defend the turf that is the legislative branch. >> mr. cannon, it seems to me that mr. lazarus is arguing that the president can do anything that we refuse to act on. and i think that goes beyond what the constitutional powers were given to the president by our founding fathers. in fact, if you follow his logic seems to me that if he, next decides that he wants to make sure that nobody who came here illegally, who came here just to work in agriculture, for example, can be deported, because there would be some humanitarian concerns, about the deporting these people, that he has the express authority to actually do that. i'm actually a proponent of immigration reform. i want immigration reform to be done and i think the actions of the president have made it less likely this body is going to act because we're not sure what he will enforce and what he will
12:39pm
not enforce. what are your comments on that? >> i think that one, there is no bright line as far as i know, to be drawn between enforcement discretion and legislating. i think that the president's actions with regard to the patient protection under the affordable care act wherever you draw that line, he is on the wrong side of it but i think one way to, the best way to curtail the abuse proves cute tomorrow discretion is to have fewer crimes. we have a lot of crimes on our immigration, in our immigration laws i just don't think should be there i think our drug war creates a lot of criminals that, and, there are a lot of crimes on our books as a result of the drug war that should not be there and that is why prosecutors across this country are stretched so thin. why prisons are overcrowded and when you have a situation like that where you've got a surplus of crimes and not enough resources to prosecute all of
12:40pm
them, then you get a lot, you put a lot more power in the hand of individual prosecutors as we as executive branch generally to decide how these laws will be enforced or not enforced. i think on a macrolevel that is how you try to attack this problem. >> thank you, i yield back my time. >> the gentleman yields. chair recognizes gentleman from illinois, my friend, mr. gutierrez. >> thank you, very much, mr. chairman. once again we're not legislating in this committee. we could be using this time to find common ground and even have a strenuous and substantive debate on important public policy matters but instead i think what we're doing is offering empty assurances and shaky split -- shaping political messages for next fall, rather than worrying about the president we know and you quote, distrust or, end quote, is enforcing our laws the way you would like him to, we could be making meaningful progress
12:41pm
crafting enacting laws for betterment of the american people. i hope this goes, the president isn't a member about this committee. doesn't sit on this committee. doesn't have a vote in the house of representatives. we should craft legislation and get it done. and then we should make sure that legislation is enforced of the now, i know that some people say, well, he is not enforcing the legislation. let me just suggest to everybody, when he, when he got sworn in as president of the united states, secure communities was nothing in this country. there are hundreds and hundreds of agreement with county, state and local -- how do you think the apparatus was created to deport 2 million people in the last five years? by accident? that apparatus did not exist under george bush. it was created under his administration and implemented by this president. and that is something i'm happy
12:42pm
about. 287 g agreements that have been made with one locality after another, we're going to sit here and say that congresswoman s. ina, our colleague, hired a one of dreamers and successfully got her work permit and her mom is under a current order of deportation. she quit her job today as a congressional aid to go fight for her mom. and we're saying he is not enforcing the law? i assure you, that, if you are fighting this administration as i and many others are fighting this administration each and every day, you will find this president is indeed enforcing the law. unfortunately he should not be limiting his prosecutorial discretion, he should be expanding his prosecutorial discretion. now, on substantive issue of daca, the fact is, we passed the
12:43pm
dream act in the house of representatives in the fall of 2010. 216-208. then we went to the senate, mr. turley, over they said you need off votes now to get something done. we always talk about the framers. i don't remember any framers saying you don't need more than one vote of majority in the senate. now you need 60 now they only got 55. clearly the established will of the majority of senator, and house of representatives were to do what? to protect the dreamers. this is what the president did. he took the express will of the house and of the senate, if not for this new rule, that they incented, that they have had now for 35 years, that you need supermajority of 60 votes. if we needed that here, even my colleagues on the republican side would have a difficult time getting legislation passed. so, all i'm trying to say is, when we move the ball forward the president looked at it. i want to say that, i don't know about the other but it seems
12:44pm
like bo cooper, former ins general counsel, paul virtue, former ins general counsel, these are general counsels of the ins, each of them established that the president of the does have prosecutorial discretion when he gets to decide who to prosecute and who not to. that is what he did. he sent children aside, said i'm not going to longer prosecute them because they do not present an imminent threat. guess what, mr. chairman? year-and-a-half later, 500,000 of them are walking around and i assure you, because i know the way this place works, if you could find one and bring them up here that sheets how he has caused some danger or some harm that person would have already have come but the fact is they're not. they're working in congressional offices. three are working in my congressional office, filling out forms. they're american citizens in
12:45pm
everything but a piece of paper. all i want to do, and i want to establish because the chairman is absolutely correct. i'm going to say this for my point. when we were in charge in 2007 and 2008, we were worried about losing our majority because your side was beating the crap out of us. maybe that word shouldn't be used here. but that is what you were doing. so if a democrat voted for immigration reform, your side would boom, boom, knock them out, right? and then we were in the majority in 2009 and 2010, and we did nothing. i agree with you, we did nothing. but let's not repeat history. not say you didn't do anything so we're not going to do anything. let's do something. i want to end with this because, i don't -- here is what i would like to do. i want to step outside of my democratic party because i know there are men and women on your side of the aisle that want to step outside of their republican party and join an american party on the issue of immigration because i know there is common
12:46pm
ground that we can reach. and then the president won't have to be taking these actions because more and more what you're going to find, people are going to say, congressman cinema's staffer, we shouldn't have deported her mom. mr. president, stop the deportation of that mom. so all we're going to do is, look, they're here. there are 11 million of them. figure out a way how we legalize their status. figure out if you want triggers, put the triggers in but the in the end they will have to come back here. when they become american citizens, they all will become american citizens. we should get over that. you know what happens, mr. chairman, we pass legislation don't all go to citizenship, somebody will show up and say this congressman gutierrez didn't do a good enough job. that is the problem with this place. thank you you've been so kind and so generous. i know one thing eventually we'll have a hearing here we'll call you all back and let us know how we will get this done. pray that that happens. it is the right thing for
12:47pm
america. thank you very much. >> thank you gentleman from illinois. the chair will now recognize the gentleman from arizona, mr. frank. >> thank you, mr. chairman. mr. chairman, the subject of today's meeting is pretty profound related to rule of law and. there are some examples some of us point to and it is hard to name them all. so i'm just going to point to a few this administration seems to have stepped outside of the boundaries of quote, the rule of law. taxing political contributions. again, not in the law. political speech disclosures for federal contractors. the deepwater drilling ban. mr. holder's attempt to reform criminal justice by selectively enforcing our laws. the, mr. obama unilaterally ignoring immigration laws in many cases. recess appointments. "fast & furious" where, were unconstitutional efforts there to walk guns. unconstitutional wiretaps of the
12:48pm
ap. the irs scandal, one of the more egregious ones as the gentleman mentioned, subverts the entire political process. and of course obamacare which i'll touch on in a moment. but all of these are examples where this president, in the words of my friends on the left, has, as exercised prosecutorial discretion. that's the word. presidential pardon powers but i think they're more along the lines of professor turley said. these are, could be considered royal prerogatives. if my history is right, that's what we had the little unpleasantness with great britain about and, so the subject here is of profound significance. and i would suggest, mr. chairman, that not only in the application of the law has this administration held themselves unconstrained bit constitution or even the truth in many cases, but even the process of getting the law, on obama care, this was passed in a
12:49pm
unique situation where you know, i've see in mr. cannon's testimony, especially probably the perfect citation. i see in your testimony, writes, president obama's unfaithfulness to the ppaca is so wanton, it is no longer accurate to say that patient protection and affordable care act is, quote, the law of the land. and you know, it is kind of ironic because some of my colleagues, about 53 of us, have signed on to the house resolution stating that we believe that obamacare has yet to be the law of the land because it violated origination clause of the u.s. constitution when it was passed. we don't talk about that a great deal but it, is significant because the origination clause which was vital to the constitution ever coming into existence in the first place, it was, the, the critical, negotiation that took place to
12:50pm
allow the cons to exist. -- constitution to exist. requires al bills for raising revenue originate in the house. incident -- incidentally, mr. cannon, our colleague at tate cowritten an excellent piece laying out this argument. i will ask this be placed into the record here in a moment. like to ask you to address it if you have perspective of it. but the bottom line that is, at issue here is that if the u.s. senate can take a totally unrelated piece of legislation, strike everything but the number, and take legislation that they call, the senate health care bill, and place it in its entirety, which raises taxes to enormous deagree, if they can take any bill in the house and do that, then i would suggest to you especially after the supreme court has labeled obamacare a tax, they have
12:51pm
officially called it a tax and if indeed it can be done this way, then i would suggest to you that the origination clause is a dead letter. there is no more purpose for it being in the constitution. and it is something that i hope we'll look at a little more carefully. if it is all right, mr. cannon, i will address my question to you. do you have anything that would help illuminate this in way that is the rest of us can understand? >> well, this is, this is a provision of the constitution that hasn't really been used or, or, employed by the supreme court to knock down any revenue measures that were alleged to have, originated in the senate instead of in the house as required by the constitution. i think that, what happened with the ppaca is a more extreme example of the abuse of the, or a more extreme violation of the origination clause than what we have seen in the past. as you say, a bill came up with
12:52pm
a totally unrelated revenue measure came over in the house, from the house. the senate stripped out everything within that bill, kept only bill numbers hr-3590 i believe, and inserted into that the patient and protection affordable care act which had all sorts of revenue measures and individual mandate we didn't know then was a tax but now we know it is a tax which the administration changes its mind and continues to do. there is nothing in the bill number is revenue measures. all. revenue measures were stripped out of that bill. if the origination clause means anything, then it means that that was, that the revenue measure that the senate passed and then the house passed, we now call the patient protection and affordable care act originated in the senate and the senate did not have the power to originate a bill, a revenue measure like that.
12:53pm
so, what, but the difficulty is, will courts enforce that part of the constitution? there is a difficult line to be drawn between when, when are you amending a revenue measure that came from the house and when are you originating a new bill? i think reasonable people candies agree where that line will be drawn. i don't think reasonable people candies agree whether the senate's gutting of hr-3590 and inserting into that a totally new revenue measure, i don't think anyone candies agree that is on the wrong side of that line. it remains to be seen whether the courts uphold the constitution. if they do they have to strike down the entire ppca. fortunately a lawsuit is making its way through federal courts filed by the pacific legal foundation. the challenges is the original mandate under origination clause. >> mr. chairman, thank you.
12:54pm
if the administration does not succeed in stacking the d.c. circuit, we should find out whether the administration clause means anything at all with the case that the gentleman mentions. >> thank you, the gentleman from arizona. chair recognizes the gentleman from north carolina, the former u.s. tone, mr. holden. >> thank you, mr. chairman. professor turley, throughout your testimony you referred to several instances you believe the president stepped over the line and we talked about a number of them and ask you to recap, and give the top five instances where you think he overstepped the line and breached the constitution? >> thank you very much, congressman. first of all i do think there is number of previsions in the aca where he did overstep the line. the, the decision on individual mandates strike me as a rather obvious policy determination that the president did not want to see it enforced given amount
12:55pm
of public opposition occurred and accusations of a bait and switch. those are all political issues. this was not some clean air act regulation that was stuck in the mire of regulatory disagreements as to command-and-control statute. i also believe that the, the mandate, the employer mandate which was also extended, constitutes a significant change in legislation. i also believe that the immigration issue, as well crossed the line. i might, i actually agree with the president on the decision that was made but that doesn't matter. because it was not made in a way allowed under the constitution. i report to your attention, congressman holding, if you look at each of these questions, a couple of things jump out at you. one is they happened to occur in areas of tremendous political
12:56pm
division if not deadlock. that is precisely the type of issue the framers wanted to go through the legislative process because our process, unlike other systems, that would explode into the streets of paris and other cities, we have a type of constitutional implosion. we direct those pressures to the center of congress and from that we take disparate factional interests and return them to majoritarian compromise. >> keep going down the list of instances where you think he has overstepped. >> the other two that come out to me is really the issue of the $454 million in the prevention fund issue for the federal health care insurance exchange. and also the 700 billion for the state exchanges. then finally the, essentially the subsidies for congressional employees which is less significant than those other ones. what bothers me about those last examples is that it goes
12:57pm
directly to the the power of the purse and we have seen over and and over again courts saying don't worry, you have the power of the purse. this administration is now directly challenging that and saying, we can take money that was dedicated for one purpose and give it to an unspecified, unallowed, disallowed purpose. that challenges the very rock foundation of the congress. >> mr. rosencrans, do you want to add anything to this list of, i've got four? >> well i agree with all the items on that list. recent d.c. circuit opinion spoke after nuclear regulatory commission refusing to make a decision about yucca mountains. that is quite a striking example. that is the example where judge cavanagh, the judge cavanagh quote came from. and you know the other example that i really want to keep returning to is the irs targeted
12:58pm
enforcement. so, to my mind, taking care that the laws be faithfully execute, the core of that requirement is non-discriminatory enforcement. >> mr. lazarus, do you want to add any to this, perhaps not? mr. cannon, would you like to add any to this. >> i would like to ask, isn't the nuclear regulatory commission -- >> i'm going to reclaim my time, mr. lazarus. before i get to you, mr. cannon, i want to use my last minute with mr. rosencrans. you said that, in extreme instances impeachment would be appropriate to address, you know, one of these transgressions. we sues -- used example, declaring war without congressional authorization. on scale of one to 10, that being a 10 as necessitating impeachment proceedings, we've related off six instances where the president has exceeded his constitutional authority. i would add a 7th in there
12:59pm
on the, what he is doing with our drug laws and manned tore minimums and insistence that prosecutors not charge all the relevant facts. out of any of these seven, where do, which ones rise to the beat of most egregious and would any of them trigger what you would think, meaning impeachment to be appropriate? >> well i wouldn't want to opine on quite what the impeachment line ought to be but i think this, this body should think about a pattern. if they see a pattern and particularly if they see willful conduct, that should be, that is really the most egregious thing a president can do, willfully violate the take care clause or just display a pattern of disregard for constitutional prohibition. so that is what i think the committee should keep their eye on. >> mr. chairman, i yield back. >> thank the gentleman from north carolina. chao recognizes the gentleman from georgia, mr. collins. >> thank you, mr. chairman.
1:00pm
i sat here and i listened and to both sides. . . in the case of the president now has stepped over those boundaries. we can have legal discussions appear that the problem is where i come from the northeast
1:01pm
georgia people just don't get it. they look at the government, they look at what's going on right now and they basically say this is not the way that it's supposed to work. you can let the school house rock, go to the civics class and be graduated law professor, but at the same plaintiff you can't communicate it to the people who have to live under the situation, then there are problems and i believe there is a right to have a mass problem right now. we talked about the power of the purse. i talked all session ever since i got up here about iab leave truly that this institution has got to matter again. its article one. we talked about article to a lot. congress has to matter again. that means we take seriously the role of budgeting and legislative but also holding accountable when we are being bypassed. the power of the purse is an issue that we talk about
1:02pm
elections and that is an issue that has been discussed, but the other issue for me that is bothersome and you try to explain is i'm also asked you have to go up there and you just cut the funds off and shut everything down and it just becomes a blur. i believe he has stepped over review pvp hasn't and that's where we differ. we will agree on something's got agree or not it wasn't in the bounds of the constitution. and that is interesting for us to talk about for just a moment because it comes back to what do we do besides getting the acts together with congress, what can we do? standing is an issue so i want to ask you this question where
1:03pm
do we go to begin that process of reclaiming our article one constitution will roll so that it is a three-legged stool and not right now one and a half. >> that is an excellent question. despite my deepest concerns i remain optimistic. most of my life was on the zaire is that it is as serious as you suggesting that there is a good reason people can't understand what's going on because we are acting outside of the system. we have taken the system off-line and we are in this ad hoc and improvisational world of the unconstitutional law that is dangerous and i disagree with my friends and mr. rosenkranz i'm always leery about people who say the solution. the framers didn't intend for the elections to be the solution to the problems. they created a system with checks and balances to allow the
1:04pm
system to correct itself because there are plenty of abuses. you can have a majoritarian terror that can continue through elections. also in impeachment is not a good device for regulation. it's a very difficult thing. i testified a testify that the t hearings. it's a very difficult standard and certainly isn't there as a substitute. what this -- i think the hearing that this body should seriously consider is the hearing on the members standing. i've been writing about this for years and i recommended if we have members standing and members could go to court and raise unconstitutional acts, much of these problems would go away because we have guaranteed review that no one would be able to call them into account. >> i believe you are right. you said you are an optimist but
1:05pm
i'm an optimistic realist and i don't get on the plane to come to washington dc. i still look at the capitol and i still believe it matters. we are a shining light in the world but i want to spend our time to bring us back to a balanced and checks and balances system in which the congress article one authority is respected and honored and we have a system that most people in the country grew up understanding and that is what the hearing is ultimately about is the respect of the people that sent us here and we have to continue that. >> now to recognize the gentleman from florida. >> mr. lazarus if congress passes a statute that applies to whatever parameters, can the president and large the perimeters of the tax and apply it to areas outside the statute contemplated? >> no. >> let me qualify that. this is an abstract question.
1:06pm
>> i will give you a chance to respond. you cite bureaucrats in the administration on the president's conduct but you don't cite any quotes for the president himself justified in his conduct and what is interesting in the most recent legislative six for the grandfather plans here is what the president says. already people that predated them can keep the plans they have in place. that was already in the law and that is what was called a grandfather clause that was included in the law. today we are going to extend that principle to people whose plans have changed since the law took effect and people that bought plans since it took effect. in other words, obamacare has a grandfather clause anything after the enactment of obamacare is illegal unless it meets the statutory requirement. with the president is saying as he is extending a grandfather clause to cover plans beyond what the statute contemplates so you think that's appropriate?
1:07pm
>> i think you are making a good point. if it is to bury -- >> let me say that we passed in the house a bill that would have grandfathered in the plans and i think that we should do that. >> what i meant to say is i think it is appropriate as a measure if it is necessary to effectively -- >> contrary to the statute the whole point of obamacare is unique to force people into these exchanges. what about this idea. if the political environment is tough with fb a reason to delay the law or grant a waiver to the law if you cite to the political environment as your justification? congress isn't doing what i want. i may suffer political damage so i'm going to do it anyway. i think in your testimony you did make some good points. i will give you that.
1:08pm
you didn't cite the justification for delaying the mandate. he was asked about a press conference and he said in the normal political environment i would call the speaker and say this doesn't go to the essence of the law and we would've delay for a year but the but there wasn't a political environment on quote unquote obamacare. i think that is totally outlandish of the explanation and even more because congress by the time he made that statement had already passed the bill to delay the employer mandate precisely for the reason the president suggested. let me ask another question because professor turley, i appreciate her testimony and you cite above examples of the founding fathers. mr. lazarus you made the point that it doesn't mean that the rest of these guys say. original founding fathers understood, but you didn't cite any actual founding fathers, so can you cite for me a federalist paper hamilton wrote a number of the executive power, you cite
1:09pm
ratifying the early practice in the republic that would substantiate your assertion that that is consistent with the original understanding? >> yes. jefferson? medicine? hamilton? spec there's very little discussion. >> so you're making the assertion to understand the theory that you've are depositing but i think it is tough and you have to back it up and i think professor turley backed up what he was trying to say so i'm asking you what would you point to? >> can i finish? the answer to the question is during the constitutional convention -- this is what i said in my testimony and this is the basis of the interpretation. i think it is widely accepted. originally what became the take care clause didn't have take care in it. it's just say that the president shall carry into execution of the law.
1:10pm
as the db2 forward, that got changed and take care was added. there really isn't -- when i said that clearly shows, and i think what the scholars on all sides have accepted that shows the president has a good-faith -- >> let me be claimed by tim. show me something i can go where hamilton is saying this. >> the point about the language is more correct. let me say one other thing on the legislative record and it is more -- >> so it matters there but it doesn't matter because you are saying that purpose is different from what the text actually says. i do think that the idea is when you are talking about mr. cannon blank argument that nobody in congress, they didn't intend for the subsidy to do.
1:11pm
the idea that we know what congress intended on the 2600 page bill many members didn't read that much less understand they were swearing that you could keep your plan and now we have members of congress running around saying i didn't know you wouldn't be able to keep your plan. so the fact you were going to rely on that over the text of the actual statute to me i don't think i would do that anyway, but with this healthcare law, surely you cannot point to whatt the congress intended to be these intricate provisions because many of them did not read or understand it. >> mr. cannon is claiming that it was the intention. it was intentional and purposeful of congress to come through the wall. >> we recognize the gentleman from texas. >> thank you mr. chairman and in
1:12pm
all of the witnesses. it's good to see some of you back. i don't remember all of you otherwise it would be all of you. but if you would suppose with me that you are in a town hall back in the congressional district and you had in elementar an elel child a student stand up and ask this question i would like to know how each of you would answer this child's question. what right does the house of representatives have two pick and choose what type of government gets funding, what is the response? start with professor turley. >> i'm sorry the last part of the question? was right does the house of representatives have to pick and choose what part of the government gets funded? >> i think the answer is clear. the order of the three branches are placed by the framers that
1:13pm
keep our given to the congress and house of representatives was the power of the purse to control the funds. what is alarming about the situation is that even that power is being challenged. >> professor rosenkranz? >> the power to decide what provisions he wants to fund and you don't want to fund. >> professor cannon? i-beam professor lazarus? >> professor rosenkranz took the words right out of my mouth. >> article one, section eight. >> mr. chairman and i would ask that we provided copy of this to the senate leader since he asked that question. with regards to libya the president said he didn't need to come to congress in order to get our authority to start bombing
1:14pm
in libya and that was a concern to some of us. he said he had been asked by the organization of the islamic conference 50 or 57 states, whatever they got, 50, 57. and also some of the allies said he didn't need congress approval because he had those requests. he was initially prepared to help the theory and rebels it hasn't become initially but they have become the most profound part and he was ready to start bombing the syrian leader that hillary clinton had called a reformer. initially, he planned to do that without the congress consent. he didn't think he needed the congress' consent. obviously once there was a lot of political pushback he threw it to the congress and let them decide. but i'm curious from each of y
1:15pm
you, what gives the president the authority to order bombing even if he promises to limit the numbetothe number of people thae will kill, what gives him the authority to start bombing a country obviously we consider an act of war what gives him that authority i am curious from each of you. >> while, i think it is a great question because i was a little bit confused when he said no one has accused president obama of being inclined to engage in a war without a declaration. i was in court with members of this committee saying exactly that in the conflict and what disturbed us is the white house came back and said the reason that we don't need a declaration of war is the president defines what it is and he's simply saying this isn't a war. when we talk about the danger
1:16pm
this is a danger of a different kind. not only did a express language of the constitution, that this administration through these acts and through the large numbers of attacks is returning the world to a state of nature. we are taking dumb criminal international principles that have governed this world that respect the territorial limitations. i spoke to the nato parliamentarians and i told them you will blow the the day that you and force the position that they can take unilateral action when somebody vaporizes somebody in london. >> my time is about to run out three and let me give each of you this question. the president ordered and more a -- and more all the -- anwar awalaki. i asked this question in another room how far does that order
1:17pm
extend? if he came back to capitol hill and led prayers as he has before, congressional staffers was that order still good, i wanted to know in case there was a german strike that was still on. what authority do you think the president has to order american citizens killed in other countries and which were not at war or in the u.s.? my time is up but if i can get answers to questions from each of you. >> as quickly as you can given the subject matter. >> i don't believe that he has the authority to do that. they cite things like hot pursuit would be no sense. it's not an imminent threat and the president blank kill list policy is an dangerously constitutional. >> it is a difficult question, but the obama administration's office of legal counsel memo on this was certainly quite strained so they are reaching
1:18pm
for allergies and analyst is that is quite unconvincing i would say. >> i am very far from an expert on these matters. but i would just offer one observation and that is i don't really see why the american citizenship the congress is referring to is all that significant. iit cannotif he knocked the genl happened to be an american citizen and wouldn't alter the way that we could deal with them militarily but they are awaiting questions about the president's authority to implement the drone program. i don't have an expert view on that. >> it's been very effective militarily so that is a good thing. >> i will just associate myself with professor turley blank
1:19pm
testimony. >> the chair will now recognize another gentleman from texas. >> thank you very much mr. chairman. i appreciate the opportunity to ask some questions here. i'm going to ask for your help in answering what is probably the number one question that i get at the town hall meetings and people running up to me at the grocery store when i'm back home in texas and it goes something like this. in the light of -- can insert whatever you want, benghazi, fast and furious, targeting of advocacy groups, overreach, if you like your healthcare you can keep it, very in the terms of obamacare. but the number one question that i get is what can you do about it? we sent you to congress to do something about this. and i've listened today and i've heard that we can enact new
1:20pm
laws. that doesn't work if we cannot get through the senate and the president won't sign them and we can use the power of the purse. that's pretty much dead and we have heard testimony about that and that continuing resolution we don't have a lot of options there. we can go to the court and we heard about the standing issue. also even when there is standing, the delay tactic leads you turned out by the time any of the court decisions are held. we talked a little bit about elections and i think chairman isa brought up the issue with interfering with elections. that's kind of off the table and bible admit my party didn't do as well as we probably should have ended the other election but we did do well when we stored numbers and congress changed and then we've also talked about impeachment, which again i don't think what gets passed the senate in the
1:21pm
current. am i missing anything? is there anything else we can do, mr. turley? >> as we said before for years i've encouraged members to consider members standing the stand-alone issue to try to find a way to establish the constitutionally or through statute to allow the members of congress. >> about your start going to get that through any amount of time. >> i published along the line and i reached this which i also testified on. >> that was in the list of -- >> what is fascinating is that because congress has been stripped of more and more of its power, it has actually put more emphasis on appointment as a way of controlling -- >> have we been stripped of it or giving it up?
1:22pm
>> as i said it before and i'm to see again it was slow and messy but at the end of the day the right answer for the committees to hold hearings like this to publicize what it takes to be the violation of the constitution and for that to become an election issue. >> we don't have the problem for the president of my constituents have, but if i had missed have d anything on the remedy against any rogue not planing to anybody in particular. >> with all due respect a gross misrepresentation of this president. >> i wasn't pointing to the president. a hypothetical rogue president. >> we knew we had a president who was driven from office and would have been convicted had that not happened.
1:23pm
and actually, that result was guaranteed in this very room. the ranking republican member of the judiciary committe judiciaro impeach nixon. >> what the professor said is accurate or would help the members of standing. you have to win elections. getting democrats to care about this issue when there's a democratic president and getting republicans to care about these issues when there's a republican president and right now i don't know if anyone who is watching this at home has noticed, but all five democratic members of the committee have left the room. i think they left 20 minutes, three and a half hours into the hearing. they are obviously not as interested in this. >> i think that one of our problems here is that we have a president right now but isn't willing to work with congress. i think that is -- we just had a
1:24pm
democrat walk in. i retract my statement. my apologies. i talked to a constituency that worked for the bush white house and who's job it was to lobby with congress and i met with somebody from the obama administration exactly twice in three years and i do think it is the president's duty to engage. i have a question on that, but i'm out of time. i do think there's a disappointed with the president not being engaged. >> they are concerned about the executive power. when the executive is a republican. >> each party needs to care about these issues a lot more when they are owned, someone from their own party occupies the white house. >> my time is expired. i will give it back to you or your. >> thto. >> the chair will recognize the gentleman from tennessee. >> i have missed some of this hearing although i caught some
1:25pm
of it on the magic of video television. i was interested in the gentleman that mentioned the possibility of impeachment. is that accurate? >> i can't remember if i brought that up. >> what context would you have brought that up? spit in response to a question. i'm not sure if i did or -- >> can someone on the panel refresh his memory? >> i think i brought up a constitutional amendment convention. i agree that congress can use to restrain the executive. >> constitutional amendment you suggest we should have convention quite. >> the question i was asked is that people can restrain the executive i offered that as one way. >> that's never been done before, has it?
1:26pm
>> not that i'm aware of. >> anybody else on the panel have any thoughts about impeachment? >> we have been asked several times questions about possible remedies if we find that a president is behaving lawlessly i've not said that this president has or that these examples rise to that level but the ultimate constitutional check on the president is impeachment and ultimately the election. >> nobody has suggested that impeachable offense. nobody here thinks that, right? do you mr. cannon? >> well, i don't know. as professor rosenkranz minchin, an important element is whatever crimes or misdemeanors that he's committed were committed knowingly. and whether there is a pattern of abuse of his office. in my testimony you will see
1:27pm
that finally out a pretty consistent whereby president obama has ignored and try to rewrite portions of the protection of the portal care act. and i think that the most egregious of these is the one where he has -- he's implementing it in a way such that he is taxing and borrowing and spending over the next ten years. $700 billion that congress never authorized. now he may disagree with my interpretation of the law. i know mr. lazarus does. i know that you and i and mr. lazarus would all agree that a president were trying to tax and borrow and spend them hundred billion dollars without authorization tha that may be impeachable. >> does anybody think that the actions of going into iraq without actual knowledge of weapons of mass destruction or anything else would have been an impeachable offense?
1:28pm
esther lazarus, you seem to be nodding. >> this regard the nod. i was very upset about that whether it is an impeachable and the decision congress would have to make. mr. turley? >> the issue does come closest for both president obama and president bush created the reason i do not think that it rises to that level is because iof the court's decisions they have made this feel like such of a mass. first of all, by the judicial and then not reviewing it it's very hard to maintain the offense when you have that degree of ambiguity. i do not belief that ambiguity is in the constitution. i believe the president obama violated the constitution of libya, for example. but because of that history and precedent they can claim that
1:29pm
they were acting in a reasonable interpretation of the law. >> i congratulate you and i yield back the balance to. >> i have to be careful how i respond to that. i will now recognize another gentleman from texas. >> thank you chairman. i disagree with you on that republicans are only concerned about executive abuses when democrats were in control three i personally don't like any executive abuses that are who the president is. and i think that our executives have gotten out of control over the last several executives not to mention the judicial branch that i served in for 22 years. i think it has exceeded its boundaries of the constitution. they were talking about the executive branch. the constitution if i remember correctly, the executive is the
1:30pm
legislative branch. that would be congress. third is the judicial branch. my understanding of the writers of the constitution they put the most important one first. at least important last because we are selected and the guys on the other end are forever. in the middle is the executive branch. the president said that we are not a banana republic. there's a lot of definitions but my view of the banana republic is a lawless country. we are proud of the fact of the united states we are a country of the law, not people. but yet, we are in a situation where it means different things to different people and it is not enforced. like many have said, back home in texas they just don't understand where the president gets the authority to do some of these things without congressional intervention.
1:31pm
i agree with the people that i represent. and they are from both parties. they are not just republicans. they say how can he do that? if i hear that once i hear it a hundred times. how can he do that? and what are you going to do about it, congressman? we have had some discussions about those things. we know the subjects were people questioned where the president has authority. let's spend one moment on one issue. obamacare according to disagree in court is a tax. the president has used the law and has said i'm going to postpone that tax for this group first, big business. and i'm gointhen i'm going to pe attacks for six weeks for individuals. and then i'm going to postpone a year for small businesses. he's postponing taxes. since i have no life i have read obamacare. i do not see that in there where
1:32pm
the president is getting the authority to postpone attacks, but he doesn't. if he has the legal authority to do that, which i doubt, what is to prevent him from going and looking at the irs code which is a mess. i don't know any american who thinks the code is a good bill. but rather than fix if we just make it bigger every year. so the president goes to the irs and says this group of businesses they are just having a bad year. or we can use the energy companies on the other end. i'm just going to postpone this paying income tax for a year. why? because i said so. or i will take this group and do something similar. rather than pay 38% of your just going to pay 20% for the next year. it seems to me that he has the
1:33pm
authority to amend the taxes which the affordable healthcare tax is according to the supreme court what is to prevent him from just amending the any tax to his liking. mr. turley weigh in on this if you would. >> i have to agree first of all oon the remark about article on, as i said before it is true that they are all equal branches, but the framers spent most of their time on congress because it is something harder than the madisonian system. it's where the magic happens and that is to take those interests that the strike countries and turned them into a majoritarian compromise. when we get to the issue of taxes, that is one of the most divisive issues facing the country. so when someone comes before the congress and says i want my group to be excluded, it obviously produces a great deal
1:34pm
of heat. some people say how about my group, how long should this apply? it is the most divisive issue raised in congress and that is why it was given to the congress so that type of issue would be subject to the transformative process of the legislation. >> so do you belief that that would be unlawful constitutional acts oact of the president stard amending the tax code on his when? >> yes i do. >> let ask you another question if i may. you mentioned remedy. what about the remedy what is why in any situation where congress thought the executive had enforced the law? >> it can be difficult if you are trying to use it against the president that you can challenge some of these decisions.
1:35pm
if it is violating the pa for example, you can go if you have standing to do so those are a long process and that is one of the things that i intend to get off the train at least one of my colleagues. this is not an epa issued this is a constitutional issue. if the president is usurping the authority of congress to say that this is just something that we leave to the agency i think misunderstands the severity of the situation. >> i yield back. >> i want to thank all of the witnesses for an excellent hearing and a great discussion. on what i think is one of the most important issues facing the country today. i want to also thank the members are very strong participation in today's hearing. that means the witnesses had to stay may be a little bit longer than originally they thought they would but that only means that you cut the upper committee talks through and think through and debate this issue even more
1:36pm
extensively. thank you all for your participation. this concludes today's hearing. without objection all members will have five legislative days to the questions for the witnesses were additional materials for the record into this hearing is adjourned.
1:37pm
>> [inaudible conversations] [inaudible conversations] you will be able to what is in its entirety on our website, go to c-span.org. several news items to tell you about as we leave the hearing all of these from the associated press. secretary of state john kerry is
1:38pm
joining diplomats from around the world in hopes of persuading afghan leaders to let international troops remain in afghanistan beyond 2014. officials discussed the issues today and tomorrow at eight nato summit in brussels. the u.s. wants to keep thousands of troops in afghanistan to continue training and advising. others are to follow suit once they reach an agreement. afghan president hamid karzai so far has not signed the proposal. also this, the federal consumer finance watchdog agency is expanding its oversight to sallie mae and other companies that collect student loan payments. the issue today by the consumer financial protection bureau extends the agency to the non- banking companies that manage large volumes of student loans on behalf of lenders. and also this from the white house. the obama administration is launching a healthcare strategy this month aimed at avoiding enrollment snafus come january and also trying to refocus public attention on the broad benefits of the law.
1:39pm
president obama will focus on the benefits of a white house event to date by americans for the white house they have benefited from the overhaul the president will try to remind americans that the health care law is preventing insurance discrimination against those with pre-existing conditions and allowing young people to stay on their parents coverage until age 26. we will cover the events at the white house line starting 2:30 eastern on c-span three. as you walk in there are tables out front with lots of pamphlets not prior to entering the gun show into the pamphlets or how the government is trying to take away the right of guns and governments doing this and obama doing that and obamacare is terrible. so, those were the kind i wanted to talk to because they had the ideas. so i said to them, you know, like who are you? i said well actually, i am an academic. i'm a researcher and i'm doing research on the organizations, these ideas.
1:40pm
and actually then who believes this stuff. they would look at me and say sort of asking questions and i just said look, here's where i am. i don't get it. here's my job. i want to understand how you see the world. i want to understand that you are worldview is look you will not convince me. i want to understand why you think the way that you do. >> i didn't get the idea about computers specifically come and
1:41pm
i kind of inspired myself to do that just dealing with people in a magazine editing job that i have, be on the radio at the time and being in public and talking about computers it was obviously people wanted to learn more but the material that we had available at the time wasn't doing the job. we had a beginning books on how to use computers but they just didn't have that -- they were condescending, they were patronizing. the author was arrogant like you will never get this stuff anyway or look at this, this is cool. people didn't want to know that. they wanted to use a computer. they planned to publish one book and even then there were some reluctance he is with the title when the owner found out they had this book and the press. you cannot defend the reader. cancel that book. but unfortunately, 5,000 copies came off of the press.
1:42pm
originally it was going to be 7500, but they stopped at 5,000 they figured okay we will shove this out in the marketplace and it will just go away. at the time not all the bookstores wanted to have it. they said we don't want to involve the reader. but even with just 5,000 copies out there this is when we had bookstores people wanted it and they said that's for me. i'm a dummy. i want that book. as we look at the life saturday afternoon on c-span2 and sunday at five on c-span.
1:43pm
>> late last month senior counterterrorism efforts discussed the threats from the so-called lone wolf posted by the potomac institute about the possibility of the repeat of a 9/11 type of attack but also said that more needs to be done to counter the threat from those that would act alone and the balance between security and civil liberties. that event is next. >> ladies and gentlemen, i am the ceo and chairman of the potomac institute for policy studies, a not-for-profit think tank in the washington dc area that focuses on the issues of science and technology and how science and technology is changing our society for almost 17 years now we have been the host at home for the international terrorism studies have it up by professor yonah
1:44pm
alexander and i think most people here would agree and understand that the center that yonah heads up is one of the most for most academic institutions and consortium of institutions in the world focusing on all aspects of terrorism. professor alexander blank group has looked up, studied and published documents on every conceivable realm and aspect of terrorism for many, many years and is personally and author of over 100 books on the subject and we are quite proud here at the potomac institute could be the home of his academic efforts. we are also privileged to partner with the international law institute and representing them as he always has and is the chairman of the international institute and for well over a decade we have partnered with professor wallace to bring to
1:45pm
you these seminars and discussions on terrorism. today we are focusing and going to have a very i hope very spirited discussion and presentation followed by the question and answer discussion with the audience. one of the most insidious hard to defend parts of terrorism that associated with the lone wolf where we built up determined his bod this body ofy and procedure for dealing with terrorist groups and the state-sponsored terrorism the lone wolf individual whose plot puts together a plot often in sympathy with the group is often hard to find before hand. finding and dealing with low -- lone wolves will change going forward. how we figure out how to use the technology to do that while protecting our civil liberties will be one of the key questions
1:46pm
of our time. it is with a great privilege that i get to introduce the session today on downloadable terrorism. with that, once again i will try to introduce the person who has been impossible to introduce and that is professor yonah alexander who is i think the world's most or most expert on terrorism. professor? >> thank you very much for your always generous introduction. let's talk about technology. i would appreciate because we are being taped. now, mike mentioned the collaboration with with the
1:47pm
international law institute and in fact the latest publication with professor don roberts and her colleagues of canada and selected perpetrators. the next one is going to be available next week, and the next one is on air on -- iran which many people are concerned about. now, today we do have a very distinguished panel to discuss what mike indicated was one of the most insidious challenges and we are really delighted to have the right perspectives. but we introduce members of the
1:48pm
panel. spike bowman for the deputy general counsel of national security of the fbi, currently distinguished federal center on national security, university of virginia school of law, it is is the other partner that we collaborate with professor kumar at the school of the foreign service and then carl olson and professor don wallace. i'm going to say a few words later on in the state. to keep in mind that one of the
1:49pm
many challenges and man-made and natural disasters and therefore try to remember and never forget and victimized by both mother nature of the man-made disasters and in this opportunity i would like to express sympathy for the victims of mafia and victims in the supermarket and those who were killed in the philippines, and of course those who were victimized by terrorist attacks from algeria to kenya and the ongoing attacks now in serious,
1:50pm
iraq, afghanistan or pakistan and elsewhere. so that is one aspect to express our solidarity and sympathy with the victims. and then of course on the other side, we have to honor those who save lives and protect lives all the way from the first responders to the police, the military and those that serve government and have a civil society to combat terrorism. now, president obama made a statement several years ago and said that the most likely scenario, and i quote that we would have to guard against the lone wolf operation rather than a well coordinated terrorist
1:51pm
attack. the number on the agenda, but today obviously the top security concern is the iran nuclear constraint and the geneva deal and we would have to focus attention on this issue as well. the question arises whether there is a connection between the levels and the weapons of mass distraction, and we are going to discuss that also today. now, again, academically, as indicated, we try to fashion many of the issues which relate also to the lone wolf. today, it happens that this is the anniversary of the assassination of jfk, and in
1:52pm
fact exactly 50 years ago the state funeral took place. i am mentioning this because even the assassination of jfk is a big question in terms of the involvement of dealing with a lone wolf or maybe a member of some sort of a conspiracy. but we also mentioned that today, the month of november we have to remember some other effects which relate to the lone wolf.
1:53pm
prior to that, in 1950 we remember the attempted assassination of the president driven by puerto rican tender wrists and the question is what is the definition of the lone wolf. again there are many examples in history that focus attention on the lone wolf for example the 1985. eighteen years ago when an individual wa is assassinated, e prime minister of israel this can be regarded also as a lone wolf operation. again history recorded many
1:54pm
instances but before we go into specifically the lone wolf examination, i would like to suggest a context through our discussion in terms of trying to look. by that i mean what are really the challenges that we are facing on the level of the security agenda. in other words challenges away from organized crime and the link between the organized crime on tourism and the trafficking discussing drug trafficking or human trafficking and so on. the financial threats around the world, the american security concerns, the transportation security concerns, the infrastructure security, cybersecurity and environmental
1:55pm
security. i just returned from a nato meeting in turkey where we discussed specifically the threats to north africa to the maghrib and west africa and the threat of instability all the way from the atlantic to the red sea and beyond. so, what is the bottom-line? i think the bottom line might indicate clearly the issue of the civil liberties i would submit that we have three questions that we have to ponder again and again. number one, 9/11 is the worst to come. second, will the civilization survived and now we are dealing with the challenge and third, to
1:56pm
come back to mike blank conservator counterterrorism strategies and democracy can exist. if we look at the various definitions related to terrorism, we couldn't even agree universally and that allowed is what remains of the lone wolf. i would submit that we are facing basically types of challenges by the perpetrators. number one that because in the lone wol wolf we can call them o the individuals who are involved in the threat of terrorism and second, i think that we have to look at the growth, some were sophisticated and other state
1:57pm
sponsors of terrorism. so, fundamentally we do have individuals. some of them are mentally to ranged -- he ranged and other extremism was ideologically based where ethnic, racial and religious movements and then we mentioned the criminals and the political mercenaries and in the united states again we see all of this variety from what we call the hate crime, for example the white suppresses for example -- white supremacist for different kind of ideologies
1:58pm
were to the religious-based ideologies. so in terms of what is happening in the united hates itself, whether we call them a freelance or leaderless resistance we find two types. one is the nonpolitical terrorist or example we have the naval yard shooting back in september of this month as los angeles airport and then of course we have the vulnerable going all the way back to 68 68 when the palestinian decided motivated.
1:59pm
also all of us remember the unit on her who conducted a campaign for many years. it was radicalized in the technological society, and then of course we all remember the diplomacy of 1995 and the attack on the federal building when 158 people were killed and 800 people were wounded. then of course the shooting that nidal hassan perpetrated at the time. when we talk about the lone wolf, the original acting would
2:00pm
have an increasing number who were also involved we can look at the nonpolitical motivations and then we can look at the political divisions. is it, fundamentally i think what we are going to discuss today are basically the two sides to consider but mostly the political side and we can spend a semester at least to discuss the various trends. to discuss this phenomenon which is restored but we have to keep always in mind that terrorists are not

Terms of Use (31 Dec 2014)